[petsc-users] Treatment of piecewise residual function in SNES

Yingjie Wu yjwu16 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 09:25:26 CDT 2020

Hi,

I think my residual functions are piecewise but discontinuous functions.

Although the residual function is discontinuous, there is little difference
between the residuals in different segments at the piecewise point. This is
the first time I have encountered such a problem, as I described before, I
solve the two-phase problem of water, which involves the disappearance and
generation of phases, so the conservation equation is piecewised. I looked
at some of the papers about the piecewise residual function in Newton
method, which refers to the peiecewise smooth function, I do not really
understand the different treatment in Newton method between the two kinds
of functions.

Thank you very much for your reply, I know little about this field and hope
to get some suggestions.

Thanks,

Yingjie

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> 于2020年5月6日周三 下午6:38写道: