[petsc-users] Using DMDA with regular matrices

Yuyun Yang yyang85 at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 16 08:04:55 CDT 2020

Hello team,

Hope you're staying healthy amid the coronavirus craziness.

Just want to ask a basic question: if my grid is managed by DMDA, then do matrices in all my intermediate steps have to be compatible with DMDA and formed in a special way, or can I just form them as usual (i.e. do MatCreate, MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation, MatSetValue etc.)? Asking this because I'm using a mix of matrix-free and matrix-based operations, and MatShell seems to require the use of DMDA.

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Yuyun