[petsc-users] -ts_adapt_clip .5,1.25

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 4 19:00:59 CST 2020

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 4:03 PM Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> See -ts_adapt_scale_solve_failed.  '

That's it. No C interface for this so no doc.

> The clip provides bounds on step
> shortening as a result of the error indicator, but a solve failing can
> be more severe.  The default clip allows more aggressive shortening, but
> I don't think we want clip to be a lower bound on solver-failure
> shortening.  And if you shorten and still fail, you want to be able to
> shorten more.

Not exactly sure what you are getting at here. I don't have a problem with
the default, I just couldn't find where to change it. My problem gets
smoother and is pretty simple and well behaved, so I don't need such an
aggressive response, I think. I don't have a problem with the default, it's
just that I'm trying to squeeze out some performance and I don't want it to
fall back so much.

Thanks,
Mark

 that the "clip" increase increment that I set (eg, 1.25), when aoos