[petsc-users] Tough to reproduce petsctablefind error

Chris Hewson chris at resfrac.com
Mon Jul 20 14:04:07 CDT 2020

Hi Mark,

Chris: It sounds like you just have one matrix that you give to MUMPS. You
seem to be creating a matrix in the middle of your run. Are you doing
dynamic adaptivity?
- I have 2 separate matrices I give to mumps, but as this is happening in
the production build of my code, I can't determine with certainty what call
to MUMPS it's happening or what call to KSPBCGS or UMFPACK it's happening
in.

I do destroy and recreate matrices in the middle of my runs, but this
happens multiple times before the fault happens and in (presumably) the
same way. I also do checks on matrix sizes and what I am sending to PETSc
and those all pass, just at some point there are size mismatches
somewhere, understandably this is not a lot to go on. I am not doing
dynamic adaptivity, the mesh is instead changing its size.

And I agree with Fande, the most frustrating part is that it's not
reproducible, but yah not 100% sure that the problem lies within the PETSc
code base either.

Current working theories are:
1. Some sort of MPI problem with the sending of one the matrix elements
(using mpich version 3.3a2)
2. Some of the memory of static pointers gets corrupted, although I would
expect a garbage number and not something that could possibly make sense.

*Chris Hewson*
Senior Reservoir Simulation Engineer
ResFrac
+1.587.575.9792