[petsc-users] How to add a source term for PETSCFV ?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 09:10:06 CDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 9:36 AM Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> How would you like to discretize the diffusive terms?  The example has a
> type of gradient reconstruction so you can have cellwise gradients, but
> there are many techniques for discretizing diffusive terms in FV.  It's
> simpler if you use an orthogonal grid, but I doubt that you are.
>
> As for terminology, the diffusive part is usually stiff and thus must be
> treated implicitly.  In TS terminology, this would be part of the
> IFunction, not the RHSFunction.

At a high level, I would say that this is doable, but complicated. You can
see me trying to do something much easier (advection + visco-elasticity) in
TS ex18,
where I want to discretize the elliptic part with FEM and the advective
part with FVM. I assume that is why Jed wants to know how you want to
handle the
elliptic terms, since this has a large impact on how you would implement.