[petsc-users] Efficiently move matrix from single processor to multiple

Hector E Barrios Molano hectorb at utexas.edu
Tue Feb 18 14:30:44 CST 2020

Dear PETSc Experts!

Do you know if there is an efficient way to move a matrix from a single
processor (MatCreateSeqBAIJ) to a matrix contained in all processors?

As a little bit of context, I have a code in which only one processor
creates a matrix and a vector for a linear system of equations. Then we
want to use a parallel solver to get the solution and give it back to a
single processor

I tried MatView to create a binary file and MatLoad to load the matrix
in parallel. This seems to work but performance is significantly
decreased independent of the number of processors used.

I have some questions:

Can I share the matrix without having to write it to a file, for
example, through a buffer?
Is there a way to efficiently avoid the overhead of writing, reading

Thanks for your comments,

Hector
--
*Hector Barrios*
PhD Student, Graduate Research Assistant