[petsc-users] Iterative solvers, MPI+GPU

McDaniel, Tyler mcdanielbt at ornl.gov
Tue Feb 11 15:10:46 CST 2020

Hello,

Our team at Oak Ridge National Lab requires a distributed and GPU-enabled (ideally) iterative solver as part of a new, high-dimensional PDE solver. We are exploring options for software packages with this capability vs. rolling our own, i.e. having some of our team members write one.

Our code already has a distributed, GPU-enabled matrix-vector multiply that we'd like to use for the core of GMRES or similar technique.  I've looked through the PETSc API and found that matrix-free methods are supported, and this: https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/features/gpus.html seems to indicate that GPU acceleration is available for iterative solvers.

My question is: does PETSc support all of these things together? E.g. is it possible for me to use a distributed, matrix free iterative solver with a preconditioner shell on the GPU with PETSc?

Best,

Tyler McDaniel