[petsc-users] Output cell data related to DMDA

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Dec 18 03:03:39 CST 2020

> On Dec 18, 2020, at 2:29 AM, Denis Davydov <davydden at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> By global vector you mean one created with
>
> VecCreateMPI(..., nel, PETSC_DETERMINE,...)
>
> ? If so, that gives segfault (even with 1 MPI process) in user write function, which is just
>
> VecView((Vec)obj,viewer);
>
> which clearly indicates that I misunderstand your comment.
>
> Would you please clarify what PETSc expect as a “global” vector in case of cell-based quantities as opposed to unknowns/fields associated with the DMDA discretization?

 Denis,

 Not sure what you mean by cell-based but if your vector is associated with a DMDA you need to create DMCreateGlobalVector() to get the properly layout with respect to the DM. If you use VecCreateMPI() it just has a naive 1d layout not associated with the DMDA in any way so won't be compatible. (Of course we would hope the code would not "crash" with an incompatible vector but just produce a useful error message)

  Barry