[petsc-users] PetscFV and TS implicit

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 10:58:24 CDT 2020

Thank you Barry for the tip ! I’ll make sure to do that when everything is
set.
What I also meant is that there will not be any more direct way to set the
preconditioner than to go through SNESSetJacobian after having assembled
everything by hand ? Like, in my case, or in the more general case of fluid
dynamics equations, the preconditioner is not a fun matrix to assemble,
because for every cell the derivative of the physical flux jacobian has to
be taken and put in the right block in the matrix - finite element style if
you want. Is there a way to do that with Petsc methods, maybe
short-circuiting the FEM based methods ?

Thanks !

Thibault

Le ven. 21 août 2020 à 17:22, Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> a écrit :

> On Aug 21, 2020, at 8:35 AM, Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu <
> thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Le ven. 21 août 2020 à 15:23, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>
>> On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 9:10 AM Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu <
>> thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I sent too soon, I hit the wrong key.
>>>
>>> I wanted to say that context.npoints is the local number of cells.
>>>
>>> PetscRHSFunctionImpl allows to generate the hyperbolic part of the right
>>> hand side.
>>> Then we have :
>>>
>>> PetscErrorCode PetscIJacobian(
>>> TS ts, /*!< Time stepping object (see PETSc TS)*/
>>> PetscReal t, /*!< Current time */
>>> Vec Y, /*!< Solution vector */
>>> Vec Ydot, /*!< Time-derivative of solution vector */
>>> PetscReal a, /*!< Shift */
>>> Mat A, /*!< Jacobian matrix */
>>> Mat B, /*!< Preconditioning matrix */
>>> void *ctxt /*!< Application context */
>>> )
>>> {
>>> PETScContext *context = (PETScContext*) ctxt;
>>> HyPar *solver = context->solver;
>>> _DECLARE_IERR_;
>>>
>>> PetscFunctionBegin;
>>> solver->count_IJacobian++;
>>> context->shift = a;
> [...]
>>> CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>>

>>>    }
>>>

>>>    /* right neighbor */
>>>

>>>    if (pgR >= 0) {
>>>

>>>    for (v=0; v<nvars; v++) { rows[v] = nvars*pg + v; cols[v] =
>>> nvars*pgR + v; }
>>>

>>>    ierr = solver->JFunction
>>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00144.html#a25c87c7c874c7e08981688fe6c51167b>
>>> (values,(u+nvars*pR),solver->physics
>>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00144.html#a48e81a1806b5774943fd9a26e9a190f2>
>>> ,dir,-1);
>>>

>>>    _ArrayScale1D_
>>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00165.html#a1dab5f429ccd03c4a7fbb605d8ef75b6>
>>> (values,(-dxinv*iblank),(nvars*nvars));
>>>

>>>    ierr = MatSetValues(Pmat,nvars,rows,nvars,cols,values,ADD_VALUES);
>>> CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>>

>>>    }
>>>

>>> I do not know if I am clear here ...
>>> Anyways, I am trying to figure out how to do this shell matrix and this
>>> preconditioner using all the FV and DMPlex artillery.
>>>

>> Okay, that is very clear. We should be able to get the JFNK just with
>> -snes_mf_operator, and put the approximate J construction in
>> DMPlexComputeJacobian_Internal().
>> There is an FV section already, and we could just add this. I would need
>> to understand those entries in the pointwise Riemann sense that the other
>> stuff is now.
>>

> Ok i had a quick look and if I understood correctly it would do the job.
> Setting the snes-mf-operator flag would mean however that we have to go
> through SNESSetJacobian to set the jacobian and the preconditioning matrix
> wouldn't it ?
>

>   Thibault,
>
>    Since the TS implicit methods end up using SNES internally the option
> should be available to you without requiring you to be calling the SNES
> routines directly
>
>    Once you have finalized your approach and if for the implicit case you
> always work in the snes mf operator mode you can hardwire
>
>     TSGetSNES(ts,&snes);
>     SNESSetUseMatrixFree(snes,PETSC_TRUE,PETSC_FALSE);
>
>     in your code so you don't need to always provide the option
> -snes-mf-operator
>
>    Barry
>

> There might be calls to the Riemann solver to evaluate the dRHS / dU part
> yes but maybe it's possible to re-use what was computed for the RHS^n ?
> In the FV section the jacobian is set to identity which I missed before,
> but it could explain why when I used the following :
>
> TSSetType(ts, TSBEULER);
> DMTSSetIFunctionLocal(dm, DMPlexTSComputeIFunctionFEM <https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/TS/DMPlexTSComputeIFunctionFEM.html#DMPlexTSComputeIFunctionFEM>, &ctx);
> DMTSSetIJacobianLocal(dm, DMPlexTSComputeIJacobianFEM <https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/TS/DMPlexTSComputeIJacobianFEM.html#DMPlexTSComputeIJacobianFEM>, &ctx);
>
>  with my FV discretization nothing happened, right ?

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu
—
Eng, MSc, PhD
Research Engineer