[petsc-users] PetscFV and TS implicit

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 08:35:45 CDT 2020

Le ven. 21 août 2020 à 15:23, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]
>> am solving, i.e. Euler equations. For the structured grid, I can loop on
>> the cells and do that 'Derivative' thing at first order by simply taking a
>> finite-difference like approximation with the neighboring cells,
>> Derivative(phi) = phi_i - phi_{i-1} and I assemble the B matrix block by
>> block (JFunction is the dF/dU)
>>
>> /* diagonal element */
>>   for (v=0; v<nvars; v++) { rows[v] = nvars*pg + v; cols[v] = nvars*pg +
>> v; }
>>   ierr = solver->JFunction
>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00144.html#a25c87c7c874c7e08981688fe6c51167b>
>> (values,(u+nvars*p),solver->physics
>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00144.html#a48e81a1806b5774943fd9a26e9a190f2>
>> ,dir,0);
>>    _ArrayScale1D_
>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00165.html#a1dab5f429ccd03c4a7fbb605d8ef75b6>
>> (values,(dxinv*iblank),(nvars*nvars));
>>    ierr = MatSetValues(Pmat,nvars,rows,nvars,cols,values,ADD_VALUES);
>> CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>
>>    /* left neighbor */
>>    if (pgL >= 0) {
>>    for (v=0; v<nvars; v++) { rows[v] = nvars*pg + v; cols[v] = nvars*pgL
>> + v; }
>>    ierr = solver->JFunction
>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00144.html#a25c87c7c874c7e08981688fe6c51167b>
>> (values,(u+nvars*pL),solver->physics
>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00144.html#a48e81a1806b5774943fd9a26e9a190f2>
>> ,dir,1);
>>    _ArrayScale1D_
>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00165.html#a1dab5f429ccd03c4a7fbb605d8ef75b6>
>> (values,(-dxinv*iblank),(nvars*nvars));
>>    ierr = MatSetValues(Pmat,nvars,rows,nvars,cols,values,ADD_VALUES);
>> CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>    }
>>
>>    /* right neighbor */
>>    if (pgR >= 0) {
>>    for (v=0; v<nvars; v++) { rows[v] = nvars*pg + v; cols[v] = nvars*pgR
>> + v; }
>>    ierr = solver->JFunction
>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00144.html#a25c87c7c874c7e08981688fe6c51167b>
>> (values,(u+nvars*pR),solver->physics
>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00144.html#a48e81a1806b5774943fd9a26e9a190f2>
>> ,dir,-1);
>>    _ArrayScale1D_
>> <http://hypar.github.io/a00165.html#a1dab5f429ccd03c4a7fbb605d8ef75b6>
>> (values,(-dxinv*iblank),(nvars*nvars));
>>    ierr = MatSetValues(Pmat,nvars,rows,nvars,cols,values,ADD_VALUES);
>> CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>    }
>>

>> I do not know if I am clear here ...
>> Anyways, I am trying to figure out how to do this shell matrix and this
>> preconditioner using all the FV and DMPlex artillery.
>>

> Okay, that is very clear. We should be able to get the JFNK just with
> -snes_mf_operator, and put the approximate J construction in
> DMPlexComputeJacobian_Internal().
> There is an FV section already, and we could just add this. I would need
> to understand those entries in the pointwise Riemann sense that the other

Ok i had a quick look and if I understood correctly it would do the job.
Setting the snes-mf-operator flag would mean however that we have to go
through SNESSetJacobian to set the jacobian and the preconditioning matrix
wouldn't it ?
There might be calls to the Riemann solver to evaluate the dRHS / dU part
yes but maybe it's possible to re-use what was computed for the RHS^n ?
In the FV section the jacobian is set to identity which I missed before,
but it could explain why when I used the following :

TSSetType(ts, TSBEULER);
DMTSSetIFunctionLocal(dm, DMPlexTSComputeIFunctionFEM
<https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/TS/DMPlexTSComputeIFunctionFEM.html#DMPlexTSComputeIFunctionFEM>,
&ctx);
DMTSSetIJacobianLocal(dm, DMPlexTSComputeIJacobianFEM
<https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/TS/DMPlexTSComputeIJacobianFEM.html#DMPlexTSComputeIJacobianFEM>,
&ctx);

 with my FV discretization nothing happened, right ?

Thank you,

Thibault

  Thanks,

>      Matt
>

>> Le ven. 21 août 2020 à 14:55, Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu <
>> thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks Matthew and Jed for your input.
>>> I indeed envision an implicit solver in the sense Jed mentioned - Jiri
>>> Blazek's book is a nice intro to this concept.
>>>
>>> Matthew, I do not know exactly what to change right now because although
>>> I understand globally what the DMPlexComputeXXXX_Internal methods do, I
>>> cannot say for sure line by line what is happening.
>>> In a structured code, I have a an implicit FVM solver with PETSc but I
>>> do not use any of the FV structure, not even a DM - I just use C arrays
>>> that I transform to PETSc Vec and Mat and build my IJacobian and my
>>> preconditioner and gives all that to a TS and it runs. I cannot figure out
>>> how to do it with the FV and the DM and all the underlying "shortcuts" that
>>> I want to use.
>>>
>>> Here is the top method for the structured code :
>>>
>>> int total_size = context.npoints * solver->nvars
>>> ierr = TSSetRHSFunction(ts,PETSC_NULL,PetscRHSFunctionImpl,&context);
>>> CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> SNES snes;
>>> KSP ksp;
>>> PC pc;
>>> SNESType snestype;
>>> ierr = TSGetSNES(ts,&snes); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> ierr = SNESGetType(snes,&snestype); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>>
>>> flag_mat_a = 1;
>>> ierr = MatCreateShell(MPI_COMM_WORLD,total_size,total_size,
>>> PETSC_DETERMINE,
>>> PETSC_DETERMINE,&context,&A); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> context.jfnk_eps = 1e-7;
>>> ierr = PetscOptionsGetReal(NULL,NULL,"-jfnk_epsilon",&context.jfnk_eps,
>>> NULL); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> ierr = MatShellSetOperation(A,MATOP_MULT,(void (*)(void))
>>> PetscJacobianFunction_JFNK); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> ierr = MatSetUp(A); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>>
>>> context.flag_use_precon = 0;
>>> ierr = PetscOptionsGetBool(PETSC_NULL,PETSC_NULL,"-with_pc",(PetscBool
>>> *)(&context.flag_use_precon),PETSC_NULL); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>>
>>> /* Set up preconditioner matrix */
>>> flag_mat_b = 1;
>>> ierr = MatCreateAIJ(MPI_COMM_WORLD,total_size,total_size,PETSC_DETERMINE
>>> ,PETSC_DETERMINE,
>>> (solver->ndims*2+1)*solver->nvars,NULL,
>>> 2*solver->ndims*solver->nvars,NULL,&B); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> ierr = MatSetBlockSize(B,solver->nvars);
>>> /* Set the RHSJacobian function for TS */
>>> ierr = TSSetIJacobian(ts,A,B,PetscIJacobian,&context); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>>
>>> Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu
>>> Research Engineer
>>> CEA/CESTA
>>> 33114 LE BARP