[petsc-users] MatAssemblyEnd taking too long

Manav Bhatia bhatiamanav at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 08:10:18 CDT 2020

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 9:39 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jed is more knowledgeable about the communication, but I have a simple question about the FEM method. Normally, the way
> we divide unknowns is that the only unknowns which might have entries computed off-process are those on the partition boundary.
> However, it sounds like you have a huge number of communicated values. Is it possible that the division of rows in your matrix does
> not match the division of the cells you compute element matrices for?

I hope that is not the case. I am using libMesh to manage the mesh and creation of sparsity pattern, which uses Parmetis to create the partitions.
libMesh ensures that off-process entries are only at the partition boundary (unless an extra set of DoFs are marked for coupling.

I also printed and looked at the n_nz and n_oz values on each rank and it does not seem to raise any flags.

I will try to dig in a bit further to make sure everything checks out.

Looking at the screenshots I had shared yesterday, all processes are in this function:

PetscErrorCode MatAssemblyEnd_MPIAIJ(Mat mat,MatAssemblyType mode)
{
  Mat_MPIAIJ     *aij = (Mat_MPIAIJ*)mat->data;
  Mat_SeqAIJ     *a   = (Mat_SeqAIJ*)aij->A->data;
  PetscErrorCode ierr;
  PetscMPIInt    n;
  PetscInt       i,j,rstart,ncols,flg;
  PetscInt       *row,*col;
  PetscBool      other_disassembled;
  PetscScalar    *val;

  /* do not use 'b = (Mat_SeqAIJ*)aij->B->data' as B can be reset in disassembly */

  PetscFunctionBegin;
  if (!aij->donotstash && !mat->nooffprocentries) {
    while (1) {
      ierr = MatStashScatterGetMesg_Private(&mat->stash,&n,&row,&col,&val,&flg);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      if (!flg) break;

      for (i=0; i<n; ) {
        /* Now identify the consecutive vals belonging to the same row */
        for (j=i,rstart=row[j]; j<n; j++) {
          if (row[j] != rstart) break;
        }
        if (j < n) ncols = j-i;
        else       ncols = n-i;
        /* Now assemble all these values with a single function call */
        ierr = MatSetValues_MPIAIJ(mat,1,row+i,ncols,col+i,val+i,mat->insertmode);CHKERRQ(ierr);

        i = j;
      }
    }
    ierr = MatStashScatterEnd_Private(&mat->stash);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  }
  ierr = MatAssemblyBegin(aij->A,mode);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatAssemblyEnd(aij->A,mode);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  /* determine if any processor has disassembled, if so we must
     also disassemble ourselfs, in order that we may reassemble. */
  /*
     if nonzero structure of submatrix B cannot change then we know that
     no processor disassembled thus we can skip this stuff
  */
  if (!((Mat_SeqAIJ*)aij->B->data)->nonew) {
    ierr = MPIU_Allreduce(&mat->was_assembled,&other_disassembled,1,MPIU_BOOL,MPI_PROD,PetscObjectComm((PetscObject)mat));CHKERRQ(ierr);
    if (mat->was_assembled && !other_disassembled) {
      ierr = MatDisAssemble_MPIAIJ(mat);CHKERRQ(ierr);
    }
  }
  if (!mat->was_assembled && mode == MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY) {
    ierr = MatSetUpMultiply_MPIAIJ(mat);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  }
  ierr = MatSetOption(aij->B,MAT_USE_INODES,PETSC_FALSE);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatAssemblyBegin(aij->B,mode);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatAssemblyEnd(aij->B,mode);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  ierr = PetscFree2(aij->rowvalues,aij->rowindices);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  aij->rowvalues = 0;

  ierr = VecDestroy(&aij->diag);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  if (a->inode.size) mat->ops->multdiagonalblock = MatMultDiagonalBlock_MPIAIJ;

  /* if no new nonzero locations are allowed in matrix then only set the matrix state the first time through */
  if ((!mat->was_assembled && mode == MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY) || !((Mat_SeqAIJ*)(aij->A->data))->nonew) {
    PetscObjectState state = aij->A->nonzerostate + aij->B->nonzerostate;
    ierr = MPIU_Allreduce(&state,&mat->nonzerostate,1,MPIU_INT64,MPI_SUM,PetscObjectComm((PetscObject)mat));CHKERRQ(ierr);
  }
  PetscFunctionReturn(0);
}

 I noticed that of the 8 MPI processes, 2 were stuck at
      ierr = MatStashScatterGetMesg_Private(&mat->stash,&n,&row,&col,&val,&flg);CHKERRQ(ierr);

Other two were stuck at
     ierr = MatStashScatterEnd_Private(&mat->stash);CHKERRQ(ierr);

And remaining four were under
     ierr = MatSetUpMultiply_MPIAIJ(mat);CHKERRQ(ierr);

Is it expected for processes to be at different stages in this function?

-Manav