[petsc-users] Singular Eigenproblem with SLEPc

Nidish nb25 at rice.edu
Sat Aug 15 18:09:25 CDT 2020

Hello,

I'm presently working with a large finite element model with several
RBE3 constraints with "virtual" 6DOF nodes in the model.

I have about ~36000 3DOF nodes making up my model and about ~10 RBE3
virtual nodes (which have zero intrinsic mass and stiffness). I've
extracted the matrices from Abaqus.

The way these constraints are implemented is by introducing static
linear constraints (populating the stiffness matrix) and padding the
mass matrix with zero rows and columns in the rows corresponding to the
virtual nodes. So this leaves me with an eigenproblem of the form,

K.v = lam*M.v

where M is singular but the eigenproblem is well defined. Abaqus seems
to solve this perfectly well, but after exporting the matrices, I'm
struggling to get slepc to solve this. The manual talks about deflation,
etc., but I couldn't really understand too much.

Is there any example code for such a case with a singular matrix where
these procedures are carried out? Or could you provide
references/guidances for approaching the problem?

Thank you,
Nidish