[petsc-users] DMPlex partition problem

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 08:45:41 CDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 7:25 AM Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 12:48 AM Danyang Su <danyang.su at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>

>> Hope you are safe and healthy.
>>

>> I have a question regarding pretty different partition results of prism
>> mesh. The partition in PETSc generates much more ghost nodes/cells than the
>> partition in Gmsh, even though both use metis as partitioner. Attached
>> please find the prism mesh in both vtk and exo format, the test code
>> modified based on ex1f90 example. Similar problem are observed for larger
>> dataset with more layers.
>>

> I will figure this out by next week.

I have run your mesh and do not get those weird partitions. I am running in
master. What are you using? Also, here is an easy way
to do this using a PETSc test:

cd $PETSC_DIR
make -f ./gmakefile test globsearch="dm_impls_plex_tests-ex1_cylinder"
EXTRA_OPTIONS="-filename ${HOME}/Downloads/basin2layer.exo -dm_view
hdf5:$PWD/mesh.h5 -dm_partition_view" NP=5
./lib/petsc/bin/petsc_gen_xdmf.py mesh.h5

and then load mesh.xmf into Paraview. Here is what I see (attached). Is it
possible for you to try the master branch?