[petsc-users] VI: RS vs SS

Dener, Alp adener at anl.gov
Tue Oct 29 09:30:22 CDT 2019

Hi Todd,

On October 29, 2019 at 7:15:50 AM, Munson, Todd (tmunson at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:tmunson at mcs.anl.gov>) wrote:

Hi,

Is the matrix for the linear PDE symmetric? If so, then the VI is equivalent to
finding the stationary points of a bound-constrained quadratic program and you
may want to use the TAO Newton Trust-Region or Line-Search methods for
bound-constrained optimization problems.

Alp: are there flags set when a problem is linear with a symmetric matrix? Maybe
we can do an internal reformulation in those cases to use the optimization tools.

The Mat object options can be set to encode symmetry information, but I don’t think there’s an existing way to encode whether a Jacobian or a Hessian is constant.

https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatSetOption.html

Is there an easy way to get the matrix and the constant vector for one of the
problems that fails or does not perform well? Typically, the TAO RSLS
methods will work well for the types of problems that you have and if
they are not, then I can go about finding out why and making some
improvements.

Monotone in this case is that your matrix is positive semidefinite; x^TMx >= 0 for
all x. For M symmetric, this is the same as M having all nonnegative eigenvalues.

Todd.

—
Alp Dener
Postdoctoral Researcher