[petsc-users] Errors with ParMETIS

Zhang, Junchao jczhang at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 18 10:04:04 CDT 2019

Usually due to uninitialized variables. You can try valgrind. Read tutorial from page 3 of https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-20/tutorial/PETSc1.pdf
--Junchao Zhang

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 6:23 AM Shidi Yan via petsc-users <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
Dear developers,

I am using ParMETIS to do dynamic load balancing for the mesh.
If my code is compiled with optimiser options (e.g., -O2 -O3), I have
the following errors when the code calls function from ParMETIS:

***ASSERTION failed on line 176 of file

externalpackages/git.parmetis/libparmetis/comm.c: j == nnbrs

externalpackages/git.parmetis/libparmetis/comm.c:176: libparmetis__CommSetup: Assertion `j == nnbrs' failed.

However, if the code is compiled with debugging mode ( -g), I do
not have any errors.

I am wondering is it the bug from my part.

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind Regards,
Shidi