[petsc-users] TS_SSP implementation for co-dependent variables

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Oct 9 18:18:00 CDT 2019

Manuel Valera <mvalera-w at sdsu.edu> writes:

> Sorry, I don't follow this last email, my spatial discretization is fixed,
> the problem is caused by the choice of vertical coordinate, in this case
> sigma, that calls for an integration of the hydrostatic pressure to correct
> for the right velocities.

Ah, fine.  To phrase this differently, you are currently solving an
integro-differential equation.  With an explicit integrator, you should
be able to embed that in the RHS function.  With an implicit integrator,
that causes the Jacobian to lose sparsity (the column integral is dense
coupling) so it's sometimes preferable to add pressure as an explicit
variable (or transform your existing variable set as part of a
preconditioner), in which case you get a differential algebraic equation
(the incompressible limit).

Have you tried embedding the column integral into the RHS function to
make a single unsplit formulation?