[petsc-users] Computing part of the inverse of a large matrix

Zhang, Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 8 09:54:24 CDT 2019

Jan:
Mumps manual says:

--3 MUMPS was called with an invalid value for JOB. This may happen if the analysis (JOB=1)was not performed (or failed) before the factorization (JOB=2), or the factorization was not performed (or failed) before the solve (JOB=3), or the initialization phase (JOB=-1) was performed a second time on an instance not freed (JOB=-2). See description of JOB in Section 4. This error also occurs if JOB does not contain the same value on all processes on entry to MUMPS. INFO(2) is then set to the local value of JOB.

However, your code seems identical to petsc/src/ksp/ksp/examples/tests/ex27.c which works fine. Can you test your matrices using ex27.c?

Hong

Hey,
I tried your proposed way. The factorization seems to work but the I get an error when solving A*X=B. When I run the appended code
I get the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "inverse_matrix.py", line 145, in <module>
    compute_inverse_mat(dynamical_matrix_nn, args.dynamical_matrix_dimension, args.m_cols_rows)
  File "inverse_matrix.py", line 130, in compute_inverse_mat
    greens_function = fac_dyn_matrix.matSolve(B,x)
  File "PETSc/Mat.pyx", line 1509, in petsc4py.PETSc.Mat.matSolve
petsc4py.PETSc.Error: error code 76
[1] MatMatSolve() line 3380 in /Users/griesserj/Libaries/petsc/src/mat/interface/matrix.c
[1] MatMatSolve_MUMPS() line 1177 in /Users/griesserj/Libaries/petsc/src/mat/impls/aij/mpi/mumps/mumps.c
[1] Error in external library
[1] Error reported by MUMPS in solve phase: INFOG(1)=-3

Do you have an idea where this error can come from or did I miss to set some necessary options?

Thank you very much in advance!

Code:
def compute_inverse_mat(dynamical_matrix_nn, dyn_matrix_dim, m_cols_rows):
    # Set up the matrix B
    B = PETSc.Mat().create(comm=comm)
    B.setSizes((dyn_matrix_dim,m_cols_rows))
    B.setType("dense")
    B.setFromOptions()
    B.setUp()
    Rstart, Rend = B.getOwnershipRange()
    print("rank, size, start_frame, end_frame \n", rank, " / ", size, " / ", Rstart, " / ", Rend)
    # Fill the matrix B
    if (Rstart < m_cols_rows) and (Rend <= m_cols_rows):
    for i in range(Rstart, Rend):
    B[i,i] = 1
    if (Rstart < m_cols_rows) and (Rend >= m_cols_rows):
    for i in range(Rstart, m_cols_rows):
    B[i,i] = 1
    # Assemble B
    B.assemble()

    # Set up matrix x
    x = PETSc.Mat().create(comm=comm)
    x.setSizes((dyn_matrix_dim,m_cols_rows))
    x.setType("dense")
    x.setFromOptions()
    x.setUp()
    x.assemble()

    # Create the linear solver and set various options
    ksp = PETSc.KSP().create(comm=comm)
    # This implements a stub method that applies ONLY the preconditioner.
    ksp.setType("preonly")
    # Set the matrix associated with the linear system
    ksp.setOperators(dynamical_matrix_nn, dynamical_matrix_nn)
    # Define the preconditioner object
    pc = ksp.getPC()
    # Set the preconditioner to LU-factorization
    pc.setType("lu")
    # Use MUMPS
    pc.setFactorSolverType("mumps")
    # Prepares for the use of the preconditioner
    pc.setFromOptions()
    pc.setUp()
    # Sets up the inernal data structures for the later use of an iterative solver
    ksp.setFromOptions()
    ksp.setUp()

    # Get the factorized dynamical matrix
    fac_dyn_matrix = pc.getFactorMatrix()

    # Compute part of the inverse by solving
    # A*X=B
    greens_function = fac_dyn_matrix.matSolve(B,x)