[petsc-users] How to use DMPlex_Distribute(_Overlap) without redistribution of the mesh

Fabian.Jakub Fabian.Jakub at physik.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Oct 2 09:02:45 CDT 2019

Hi Matt,
I see now that it does not have anything to do with the overlap, it is
just the distribute itself.

I attach two images with the cell ownership of the mesh on four ranks.
Once before and once after the distribute call.

I guess this comes from the way in which I generate the mesh.
I start with a 2D triangle mesh horizontally, which is distributed.
After that, I extrude the mesh vertically.

Now it seems that the partitioner deems a different partitioning better
for the 3D mesh.

Can I prevent DMPlexDistribute to do that?

Many Thanks,
Fabian