[petsc-users] Bad memory scaling with PETSc 3.10

Myriam Peyrounette myriam.peyrounette at idris.fr
Wed Mar 27 04:10:02 CDT 2019

Hi all,

for your information, you'll find attached the comparison of the weak
memory scalings when using :

- PETSc 3.6.4 (reference)
- PETSc 3.10.4 without specific options
- PETSc 3.10.4 with the three scalability options you mentionned

Using the scalability options does improve the memory scaling. However,
the 3.6 version still has a better one...

Myriam

Le 03/26/19 à 16:16, Myriam Peyrounette a écrit :

> *SetFromOptions() was not called indeed... Thanks! The code
> performance is better now with regard to memory usage!
>
> I still have to plot the memory scaling on bigger cases to see if it
> has the same good behaviour as when using the 3.6 version.
>
> I'll let ou know as soon as I have plotted it.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Myriam
>

> Le 03/26/19 à 14:30, Matthew Knepley a écrit :
>> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 9:27 AM Myriam Peyrounette
>> <myriam.peyrounette at idris.fr <mailto:myriam.peyrounette at idris.fr>> wrote:
>>
>>     I checked with -ksp_view (attached) but no prefix is associated
>>     with the matrix. Some are associated to the KSP and PC, but none
>>     to the Mat
>>
>> Another thing that could prevent options being used is that
>> *SetFromOptions() is not called for the object.
>>
>>   Thanks,
>>
>>      Matt
>>

>>     Le 03/26/19 à 11:55, Dave May a écrit :
>>>

>>>     On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 10:36, Myriam Peyrounette
>>>     <myriam.peyrounette at idris.fr
>>>     <mailto:myriam.peyrounette at idris.fr>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         Oh you were right, the three options are unsused
>>>         (-matptap_via scalable, -inner_offdiag_matmatmult_via
>>>         scalable and -inner_diag_matmatmult_via scalable). Does this
>>>         mean I am not using the associated PtAP functions?
>>>

>>>     No - not necessarily. All it means is the options were not parsed.
>>>
>>>     If your matrices have an option prefix associated with them
>>>     (e.g. abc) , then you need to provide the option as
>>>       -abc_matptap_via scalable
>>>
>>>     If you are not sure if you matrices have a prefix, look at the
>>>     result of -ksp_view (see below for an example)
>>>
>>>       Mat Object: 2 MPI processes
>>>
>>>         type: mpiaij
>>>
>>>         rows=363, cols=363, bs=3
>>>
>>>         total: nonzeros=8649, allocated nonzeros=8649
>>>
>>>         total number of mallocs used during MatSetValues calls =0
>>>
>>>       Mat Object: (B_) 2 MPI processes
>>>
>>>         type: mpiaij
>>>
>>>         rows=363, cols=363, bs=3
>>>
>>>         total: nonzeros=8649, allocated nonzeros=8649
>>>
>>>         total number of mallocs used during MatSetValues calls =0
>>>

>>>     The first matrix has no options prefix, but the second does and
>>>     it's called "B_".
>>>

>>>         Myriam

>>>         --
>>>         Myriam Peyrounette
>>>         CNRS/IDRIS - HLST
>>>         --
>>>

>>     --
>>     Myriam Peyrounette
>>     CNRS/IDRIS - HLST
>>     --
>>

>> --
>> experiments is infinitely more interesting than any results to which
>> their experiments lead.
>> -- Norbert Wiener
>>
>> https://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~knepley/
>> <http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/%7Eknepley/>