[petsc-users] Problems about GMRES restart and Scaling

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 20 09:44:11 CDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 8:30 AM Yingjie Wu via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your reply.
> I think my statement may not be very clear. I want to know why the linear
> residual increases at gmres restart.

GMRES combines the functions in the Krylov subspace that minimize the
residual, by design (and this is provable). With restart you are not doing
pure GMRES and the proof is gone. So if you have restart of 50 and do 51
iterations then the residual can not be lower than if you did 51 iterations
of GMRES. I don't think you can prove anything about what the residual will
do after a restart other than it will not go down more than it would
without restart.