[petsc-users] Bad memory scaling with PETSc 3.10

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 11 07:24:31 CDT 2019

GAMG look fine here but the convergence rate looks terrible, like 4k+
iterations. You have 4 degrees of freedom per vertex. What equations and
discretization are you using?

Your eigen estimates are a little high, but not crazy. I assume this system
is not symmetric.

AMG is oriented toward the laplacian (and elasticity). It looks like you
are solving Stokes. AMG will not work on the whole system out of the box.
You can use it for a 3 dof velocity solve in a FieldSolit solver