[petsc-users] Imbalance in ParMETIS

Eda Oktay eda.oktay at metu.edu.tr
Fri Jun 28 04:37:53 CDT 2019

Hello everyone,

I am trying to change load balance in ParMETIS in order to give different
number of elements to different processors. In the manual, it states that
changing "ubvec" parameter should work. So, instead of 1.05, I gave 1.2,1.5
and so on but load balance didn't change. I always get Max 5 Min 5 when I
view load balance. The partitioning part of my code is:

 ierr = MatConvert(A,MATMPIADJ,MAT_INITIAL_MATRIX,&AL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  ierr = MatPartitioningCreate(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&part);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatPartitioningSetAdjacency(part,AL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  ierr = MatPartitioningSetFromOptions(part);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatPartitioningApply(part,&partitioning);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  MatPartitioningViewImbalance(part,partitioning);

What should I do? Why changing ubvec didn't change anything, am I
missing something?

Thanks,

Eda