[petsc-users] ParMETIS Load Imbalance

Eda Oktay eda.oktay at metu.edu.tr
Thu Jun 20 03:47:25 CDT 2019

Hello everyone,

I am trying to partition a matrix into unequal parts: for example I am
trying to partition a 10*10 matrix into 4*4 and 6*6 submatrices. However,
ParMETIS is always dividing the matrix into 2 equal parts (5*5).

The reason why I am trying to do this is that I am using spectral
partitioning method.First, I find the eigenvector corresponding to second
smallest eigenvalue and then sort the vector according to signs of
elements. So, if there is 4 negative values in the vector, the matrix
should be divided as 4*4 and 6*6. But I can't do it by using ParMETIS.

I tried MatPartitioningSetPartitionWeights but it doesn't work since it
only shows when I looked at view imbalance option that partitioning
imbalance info: max 6 min 4 but still the matrix was divided into 5*5 and
5*5.

How can I change the load balance?

Thanks,

Eda