[petsc-users] MPI-FFTW example crashes

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 3 00:12:19 CDT 2019

> On Jun 2, 2019, at 11:52 PM, Sajid Ali <sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>
> @Barry : Perahps config/BuildSystem/config/packages/fftw.py should use the --host option when configure for PETSc is run with-batch=1.
>
> If anyone here knows what --host must be set to for KNL, I'd appreciate it.

  We've tried very hard over the years to avoid learning about the --host business. I found a couple of useful pages

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21990021/how-to-determine-host-value-for-configure-when-using-cross-compiler

https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.65/html_node/Specifying-Target-Triplets.html

I don't know if the host stuff will work on theta since it is such a unique machine.

 Good luck

> PS :  I know that Intel-MKL-FFT provides FFTW api. If I'd want to try with this, is there a way to tell PETSc to pick fftw functions from MKL ?

 We've never done it but take a look at mkl_sparse.py perhaps it could be converted to mkl_fftw.py ?