[petsc-users] What is the best way to do domain decomposition with petsc?

Dongyu Liu - CITG D.Liu-4 at tudelft.nl
Thu Jul 11 09:05:37 CDT 2019

Hi,

We want to incorporate the PETSc into our in-house FEM package. We found two ways to do the domain decomposition.

The first one is to read the mesh with partitioning, and the partitioning is done with gmsh. For this one, we need to do the index mapping (renumbering). We found that the mesh nodes cannot be shared by each processor (Is that true?). Then we need to provide the ghosted points information to the PETSc which can be obtained from the gmsh file. To implement this method, we need to provide the local and global mapping like AO in PETSc. We also need to use it with our own mesh data structure.

The second way is to use DMPlex to read the mesh and do the partitioning. For this, an interface should be provided to link the DMPlex mesh data structure and to our own mesh object to avoid changing too many places in our codes.

I am just wondering which way is better, or do you have any other suggestion?

Best,

Dongyu