[petsc-users] Vecs and Mats with non-contiguous parallel layout

Dave Lee davelee2804 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:13:45 CST 2019

Hi,

just wondering if its possible to manually specify the parallel
decomposition of data within PETSc Vecs and Mats? And if so, will the
FieldSplit preconditioning handle this also?

I have an application (non-PETSc) data layout as:
DATA[16][4][num_procs][3472]

and if possible I would like to use FieldSplit preconditioning without
re-arranging this layout.

Currently I have a nested FieldSplit preconditioning with 16 outer field
splits, and a schur complement field split within each. however this throws
up an indexing error as FieldSplit assumes that the parallel decomposition
is contiguous (I think).

[0]PETSC ERROR: #1 ISComplement() line 750 in
/home/dlee0035/soft/petsc-3.9.3/src/vec/is/is/utils/iscoloring.c

[0]PETSC ERROR: #2 PCSetUp_FieldSplit() line 703 in
/home/dlee0035/soft/petsc-3.9.3/src/ksp/pc/impls/fieldsplit/fieldsplit.c

[0]PETSC ERROR: #3 PCSetUp() line 923 in
/home/dlee0035/soft/petsc-3.9.3/src/ksp/pc/interface/precon.c

Cheers, Dave.