[petsc-users] Data types for local ID's and global ID's for large problems

Weston, Brian Thomas weston8 at llnl.gov
Wed Jan 9 18:07:52 CST 2019

Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. Users of our ALE3D hydro code at LLNL run very large problems , which I believe can pass in large amounts of local integer data to solver packages like HYPRE and PETSc for global solves. All of our local integer data is stored with 32-bit indices and switching to 64-bit indices would increase the memory footprint and data motion. This is a problem when running on our BGQ machines like Sequoia machine and potentially for our GPU machines.

Is this not a performance issue for most PETSc users who are running very large problems on 64-bit indices? And is there any interest in the future for allowing local ID’s to be in 32-bit and global ID’s be in 64-bit?

Best,
Brian