[petsc-users] Direct PETSc to use MCDRAM on KNL and other optimizations for KNL

Zhang, Hong hongzhang at anl.gov
Thu Feb 28 10:05:40 CST 2019

On Feb 28, 2019, at 6:10 AM, Sajid Ali <sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu<mailto:sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu>> wrote:

Hi Hong,

Thanks for the advice. I see that the example takes ~180 seconds to run but I can't see the DRAM vs MCDRAM info from Intel APS. I'll try to fix the profiling and get back with further questions.

MCDRAM has 4x higher bandwidth than DRAM, so the improvement you see from your example looks very reasonable. Note that in cache mode MCDRAM acts as L3 cache while in flat mode it is used as another level of memory.

Hong (Mr.)

Also, the intel-mpi manpages say that the use of tmi is now deprecated : https://software.intel.com/en-us/mpi-developer-guide-linux-fabrics-control

Thank You,
Sajid Ali