[petsc-users] Identifying matching points in differently distributed DMPlexs

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 15:30:16 CST 2019

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 11:00 AM Lawrence Mitchell via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dear petsc-users,
>
> I have two (different) distributions of the (topologically) same DMPlex
> object (DM_a and DM_b).
>
> I would like to identify the map from points(DM_a) to points(DM_b) such
> that I can transfer fields between the two.
>
> Does such a facility exist?

Case #1: You made DM_b from DM_a

  Then you are fine. The PetscSF you get from Distribute() is the map.

Case #2: They are completely unconnected

  This is hard. I wrote code to do it at least twice, but I keep throwing
it away when I rewrite things because
it is so ugly. Hopefully you do not need this.