[petsc-users] saving results

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 18 14:21:18 CST 2019

   I'm guessing you mange your own time stepping (and nonlinear solver if there is one)?

   You can save the solution with a call to VecView() and then reload the solution with a VecLoad() but you need to manage any other restart data that you may need, like the value of the current time etc.

   As Jed says it doesn't make sense to save "partial" solutions within the linear solver.  Just save it every several time-steps.

   Barry

   Also the code should not be "crashing" at seemingly long times (after hours) with a Segmentation fault. Send us the full error message and we'll see if there is some way we can help you fix this problem.