[petsc-users] Updating TS solution outside PETSc

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 5 13:38:39 CST 2019

   Let's look at the 1d case with vertex centered differencing

                              |                  |
      u-1*                u0             u1    ...

  u-1* is the ghost value, u0 the edge value etc.

       Say you are solving        u_n on boundary is g(t),   u inside satisfies    u_t =  U_xx

   Then if you provide a function of TSSetRHSFunction() it would be something like

              DMGetLocalVector(DM,&ulocal);
              DMGlobalToLocal(dm, U, ulocal) ;

              DMDAGetArray(ulocal,&u)
              DMDAGetArray(fglobal,&f)

              for (i=0,....
                 f[i]  =  (u[i+1] - 2*u[i] + u[i-1])/h

              f[0] += g(t)

               Note that f[0] =  (u[i+1] - 2*u[i] + u[i-1])/h^2 = (u[1] - u[0])/h + g(t)

               So you are satisfying the PDE inside the domain and on the boundary you are using one-sided differencing to approximate the Neumann boundary conditions.

               I may have some details wrong.

     Barry