[petsc-users] Eigensolution with matrices from mixed formulation problems

Manav Bhatia bhatiamanav at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 22:04:26 CST 2019

Hi,

   I am working on mixed form finite element discretization which leads to eigenvalues of the form

   A x = lambda B x

   With the matrices defined in a block structure as

 A =    [ K  D^T ]
           [ D  0     ]

 B =   [ M  0 ]
          [ 0   0 ]

   The second row of equations come from Lagrange multipliers in our discretization scheme. A system with m Lagrange multiplier is expected to have m Inf eigenvalues. We are testing the standard eigensolvers in Matlab and as the system size increases the eigensolves are stopping with larger residuals, || r_i ||, of the eigensystem:

r_i = A x_i - lambda_i B x_i

   I am working towards setting this up in SLEPc. In the meantime I am curious about the following:

1.  Is the eigensolution of such systems known to be problematic?
2.  Are there standard tricks in SLEPc or elsewhere that are geared towards more robust solutions of such systems?

    I would appreciate guidance on this.

Regards,
Manav