[petsc-users] VecView to hdf5 broken for large (complex) vectors

Balay, Satish balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 17 00:00:35 CDT 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, Sajid Ali via petsc-users wrote:

> > develop > 3.11.99 > 3.10.xx > maint (or other strings)
> Just discovered this issue when trying to build with my fork of spack at [1
> <https://github.com/s-sajid-ali/spack/commit/05e499571b428f37b8cd1c7d39013e3dec08e5c8>].
>

> So, ideally each developer has to have their develop point to the branch
> they want to build ? That would make communication a little confusing since
> spack's develop version is some package's master and now everyone wants a
> different develop so as to not let spack apply any patches for string
> version sorted lower than lowest numeric version.

There is some issue filed [with PR?] regarding this with sorting order
of string versions and numerical versions. This might improve in the
future. But for now 'bugfix-vecduplicate-fftw-vec' will be lower than
version 0.1

Also 'develop' might not be appropriate for all branches.

For ex: - petsc has maint, maint-3.10 etc branches. - so if one is
creating a bugfix for maint - (i.e start a branch off maint) it would
be inappropriate to call it 'develop' - as it will be marked > version
3.11.99 and break some of the version comparisons.

> >Even if you change commit from 'abc' to 'def'spack won't recognize this
> change and use the cached tarball.
> True, but since checksum changes and the user has to constantly zip and
> unzip, I personally find git cloning easier to deal with so it's just a
> matter of preference.

Here you are referring to tarballs - where the sha256sum is listed.

     url      = "http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/release-snapshots/petsc-3.5.3.tar.gz"
     version('3.11.1', 'cb627f99f7ce1540ebbbf338189f89a5f1ecf3ab3b5b0e357f9e46c209f1fb23')

However - one can also say:

     git      = "https://bitbucket.org/sajid__ali/petsc.git"
     version('3.11.1', commit='f3d32574624d5351549675da8733a2646265404f')

Here - spack downloads the git snapshot as tarball (saves in tarball
cache as petsc-3.11.1.tar.gz - and reuses it) - and there is no
sha256sum listed here to check. If you change this to some-other
commit (perhaps to test a fix) - spack will use the cached tarball -
and not downloaded the snapshot corresponding to the changed commit.

Satish