[petsc-users] Error with KSPSetUp and MatNest

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 11 00:48:47 CDT 2019

  Here is my guess at what is going wrong (and if it is the case we should figure out how to fix it). The KSPSetUp() is triggering the creation of
work vectors and the type of work vector created at this point is not compatible with the vectors passed into KSPSolve() thus generating an error.

  Meanwhile if you skip calling KSPSetUp(), the KSPSolve() calls KSPSetUp() and by that time KSP knows the vector type (based on the vector passed
into KSPSolve()) and uses that as a template to generate the work vectors which are now compatible since they were generated using the input vector. It may require using the debugger to track why the wrong type of vector is created for work vectors in KSPSetUp(). It is too late at night for me to try to debug it now.

  Barry