[petsc-users] Retireve eigenvectors from a paralell job/ Spectrum slicing in order to solve big eigenvalue problem

Jan Grießer griesser.jan at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 19 06:57:04 CDT 2018

Okay i think i found my error. I now used this code snippet:
if nconv > 0:
# Create the results vectors
vr, wr = DynMatrix_nn.getVecs()
vi, wi = DynMatrix_nn.getVecs()
# Array for the eigenvectos
vecs = np.zeros((69999,nconv))
print("Shape of output array: ", vecs.shape)

Print()
Print("     k               ||Ax-kx||/||kx||    ")
Print("-----------------------------------------")
for i in range(nconv):
k = E.getEigenpair(i, vr, vi)
error = E.computeError(i)
if k.imag != 0.0:
Print("%9f%+9f j %12g" % (k.real, k.imag, error))
else:
Print("%12f %12g" %(k.real,error))
# Save all eigenvalues to one array
eigenvals_n[i,0] = E.getEigenvalue(i).real
eigenvals_n[i,1] = error
# Insert eigenvectors
scatter, vec_full = PETSc.Scatter().toZero(vr)
scatter.scatter(vr, vec_full, PETSc.InsertMode.INSERT,
PETSc.ScatterMode.FORWARD)
if rank == 0:
vecs[:,i] = vec_full.getArray()
E.view()
# Save eigenvalues to file
if rank == 0:
np.savetxt("Eigenvalues.txt", eigenvals_n, header="Eigenvalues, ascending
ordering due to real part")
np.savetxt("Eigenvec2.txt", vecs, header="Eigenvalues, ascending ordering
due to real part")
The problem was that all MPI processes create the array vecs. The
scattering worked fine but in the end every MPI process wrote the
eigenvec2.txt file and not only rank0. So i assume that 19 processes
writing an empty array and 1 process writing the correct one, was leading
to this strange kind of .txt file. Now only rank0 with the correct
eigenvectors write the array to file. I still have to check if the rest is
correct but i appears to me that it now works and it makes sense.
Thank you very much for your help Matt!!