[petsc-users] DIVERGED_NANORING with PC GAMG

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:12:35 CDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:21 PM Appel, Thibaut via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dear users,
>
> Following a suggestion from Matthew Knepley I’ve been trying to apply
> fieldsplit/gamg for my set of PDEs but I’m still encountering issues
> despite various tests. pc_gamg simply won’t start.
> Note that direct solvers always yield the correct, physical result.
> Removing the fieldsplit to focus on the gamg bit

This is a mistake I think because you want a simpler operator to try GAMG
on.

Can you go back to splitting the system, and try using GMRES as the
smoother. Its important to see
whether the smoother makes no progress, or the coarse correction stinks.