[petsc-users] Convergence of AMG

Karin&NiKo niko.karin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 04:22:39 CDT 2018

Manav,

How are interpolated the rotational degrees of freedom? AFAIK, when using
smoothed aggregation, the interpolation process tries to mimic linear
interpolation, which can be OK for the displacement DOF but is not for the
rotational DOF using some plate and shell formulations.
This can explain poor convergence of a multilevel approach, which needs to
restrict and extrapolate the unknowns. In order to check this hypothesis,
you can try a test case with zero rotations.

Nicolas