[petsc-users] Convergence of AMG

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 29 16:07:45 CDT 2018

* the two level results tell us that MG is not doing well on the coarse
grids. So the coarse grids are the problem.

* Do not worry about timing now. Get the math correct. The two level solve
is not meant to be a solution just a diagnostic so don't try to optimize it
by squaring the graph. Use -pc_gamg_square_graph 0.

* It looks like you don't need 4 smoothing steps but lets keep it and we
can dial it back later.

* This table is interesting. First, you had about 12 iterations earlier and
I think your rtol was tighter than the default (so the iteration could
should go down not up). Do you know what change here?

Note, even though -mg_levels_ksp_max_it is not in the ksp_view it does
work. It is syntactic sugar to just add it to all levels like you did
manually.

Anyway, these number look reasonable. It is interesting that 3 levels ran
well but the 4th level ran poorly. This implies we want to slow down
coarsening on these levels, but ...

First can you please rerun this experiment with -pc_gamg_square_graph 0.

Also, please run with -info. This is very noisy but you can grep on "GAMG"
and send that output to us (about 15 lines).

Thanks,
Mark