[petsc-users] Some Problems in Modifying Parallel Programs

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 10:32:09 CDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:13 AM Yingjie Wu <yjwu16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much, Matt.
>
> My problem is actually a two-dimensional problem, and the matrix in my
> binary file is actually a two-dimensional array, each point corresponding
> to a value on the two-dimensional grid.

These are still vectors. Vec store fields, which gives values to points on
your grid. Matrices map between states, so between vectors.

> Your suggestion is very useful to me. I can try to convert the matrix
> binary file into a vector binary file to give program an initial value. So
> what I should do is:
> 1. establish parallel vectors.
>  2. reads data from binary files to vectors. (VecLoad())
> 3. use VecGetArray() in FormInitialGuess() to use vector elements to give
> the initial values of the field variables.
> I know DM can support parallel computing (domain decomposition). How can I
> ensure that the part of the vector built on each processor corresponds to
> the index of DM object? (Cause my field variables are established by
> DMDACreate2d,  and I want to assign initial values to field variables using
> read vectors )

Yes. Many times you will want to VecLoad, then DMGlobalToLocal() to get
ghosted vectors, then DMVecGetArray() to get ghosted arrays.

   Matt

> Thanks,
> Yingjie
>
> Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> 于2018年10月15日周一 下午10:52写道:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 10:42 AM Yingjie Wu <yjwu16 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Petsc developer:
>>> Hi,
>>> Thank you very much for your previous reply.
>>> I recently wanted to modify my program to parallel version, and
>>> encountered some problems in modifying it.
>>> 1. There are functions (read matrix) in the program that reads
>>> files,will they affect my parallelism?
>>>

>> No, MatLoad works in parallel. This will work unchanged if you want the
>> default layout. If you want a special partition,
>> you must call MatSetSizes() after MatCreate().
>>

>>> The codes are as follows:
>>>
>>> ierr = PetscViewerBinaryOpen (PETSC_COMM_WORLD, file, FILE_MODE_READ,
>>> &viewer); CHKERRQ (ierr);
>>> ierr = MatCreate (PETSC_COMM_WORLD, &A1); CHKERRQ (ierr);
>>> ierr = MatSetFromOptions (A1); CHKERRQ (ierr);
>>> ierr = MatCreate (PETSC_COMM_WORLD, &A2); CHKERRQ (ierr);
>>> ierr = MatSetFromOptions (A2); CHKERRQ (ierr);
>>> ierr = MatLoad (A1, viewer); CHKERRQ (ierr);
>>> ierr = MatLoad (A2, viewer); CHKERRQ (ierr);