[petsc-users] Failure of MUMPS

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 03:50:44 CDT 2018

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 at 12:42, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 9:08 PM Mike Wick <michael.wick.1980 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello PETSc team:
>>
>> I am trying to solve a PDE problem with high-order finite elements. The
>> matrix is getting denser and my experience is that MUMPS just outperforms
>> iterative solvers.
>>

> If the problem is elliptic, there is a lot of evidence that the P1
> preconditioner is descent for the system. Some people
> just project the system to P1, invert that with multigrid, and use that as
> the PC for Krylov. It should be worth trying.

Matt means project to P1 directly from your high order function space in
one step. It is definitely worth trying.
For those interested, this approach is first described and discussed (to my
knowledge) in this paper:

Persson, Per-Olof, and Jaime Peraire. "An efficient low memory implicit DG
algorithm for time dependent problems." *44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences
Meeting and Exhibit*. 2006.

> Moreover, as Jed will tell you, forming matrices for higher order is
> counterproductive. You should apply those matrix-free.

I definitely agree with that.

Cheers,
  Dave