[petsc-users] IS Invert Not Permutation

Thu Nov 29 02:12:58 CST 2018

Am 28.11.18 um 18:12 schrieb Matthew Knepley:

>     Hey,
>
>     thanks for your quick reply!
>
>     As far as I understand how MatSetLocalToGlobalMapping works, there is no way to create such a mapping that can be used for MatSetValuesLocal?
>
>     What I need is basically
>
>     MatSetValuesLocal row/col argument = 3 / 4 / 6 maps to local row/col 0 / 1 / 2
>

> You are inverting the meaning of MatSetValuesLocal(). It takes in local indices (0, 1, 2) and sets the
> values into a global matrix using global indices (3, 4, 6) which it gets from a compact table.
>
> It you have global indices (3, 4, 6) use MatSetValues() directly.
>
> Why are you trying to convert global indices to local indices, which requires a search.

Hey,

we are building a matrix for RBF interpolation. Given two sets of vertices, this requires to evaluate a function on every pair of vertices. The mesh is decomposed. The vertices have a globally unique, but not necessarily continous globalIndex.

A rank 1 has the local portion of the mesh with the globalIndizes = {3, 4, 6}.

--
  (3,1) (3,2) | (3,3) (3,4) (3,6) | (3,7) (3,8)
  (4,1) (4,2) | (4,3) (4,4) (4,6) | (4,7) (4,8)

(marked processor boundaries with | and --)

Going through local vertices, I could just count and use MatSetValuesLocal without a mapping and set the rows as {0, 1, 2}.

But for the cols I need a global enumeration. Just counting is not an option. While the locally owned vertices are disjoint on each rank, each rank has some additional (halo like) vertices vertices. It does not own these (it doesn't build rows for them) but uses them building rows for its own vertices). The size of these halos depend on the basis function used. I can't use globalIndex directly, as it may contain holes and so on.

For that I go through all local vertices and collect their globalIndex in an std::vector. My original implementation was to create an IS from the globalIndizes, ISInvertPermutation, ISAllGather and ISLocalToGlobalMappingCreateIS.

My problem is, that InvertPermutation does not allow the IS to have holes in it.

Following your advice, I use an AO instead and translate the rowIdx (that maybe I can omit) and the colIdx using AOApplicationToPetsc before calling MatSetValues, see below.

Any thoughts on that matter are deeply appreciated!

Best,
Florian

For that, my original implementation was to go ro