[petsc-users] [petsc4py] DMPlex and DT class

Valerio Barnabei valerio.barnabei at uniroma1.it
Wed May 30 02:38:18 CDT 2018

Thank you Matt,
I've read some of your works and  I'm interested in your approach. I would
like to keep in touch with you, both to consider the option to make python
interfaces for DT class, and to have a deeper understanding of Sieve.

Best regards,
Valerio Francesco Barnabei

Il 29 mag 2018 23:22, "Matthew Knepley" <knepley at gmail.com> ha scritto:

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Valerio Barnabei <
valerio.barnabei at uniroma1.it> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to figure how to translate snes/ex12, snes/ex56, snes/ex62,
> snes/ex77 in python using petsc4py. Unfortunately I'm having trouble
> finding something analogue to the DT class of C++ PETSc, to call methods
> like PetscFECreateDefault and similar.
> Is this something that can be achieved using petsc4py?
> I mean, is there something included in DM, DMDA or DMPlex that takes care
> of the discretization of a generic value field that I'm missing? (As far as
> I can see and understand, no DT class is implemented in petsc4py)
> I hope i explained myself, unfortunately I'm still a new user.

Hi Valerio,

There are no Python interfaces for DT because it is all experimental code.
We have not yet agreed that this is
the correct way to do things, so its all my own C experimentation. I could
help you understand it to make Python
interfaces if you wanted to.