[petsc-users] questions about dmdacreaterestriction

Xiangdong epscodes at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:25:52 CDT 2018

Hello everyone,

I have a 2D DMDA with Nx=6 and Ny=4. If I set refine_x=3 and refine_y=2, I
can get a coarse DMDA by DMCoarsen(). However, when I tried to call the
DMCreateRestriction between these two DMDAs, I got error about " No support
for this operation for this object type. DMCreateRestriction not
implemented for this type."

Can you help me get around this?

Another simple question, where can I find the explanation/meaning of
DMDA_Q0 and DMDA_Q1?

Below is my test example.

Thank you.

Best,
Xiangdong

#include <petsc.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  PetscErrorCode ierr;

  PetscInitialize(&argc, &argv, PETSC_NULL, PETSC_NULL);

  int Nx=6, Ny=4, Nz=1;

  DM da;

  ierr = DMDACreate2d(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,DM_BOUNDARY_NONE,DM_BOUNDARY_NONE,
DMDA_STENCIL_STAR,Nx,Ny,PETSC_DECIDE,
PETSC_DECIDE,1,1,NULL,NULL,&da);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  int refine_x=3, refine_y=2, refine_z=1;
  ierr = DMDASetRefinementFactor(da,refine_x,refine_y,refine_z);

  ierr = DMDASetInterpolationType(da,DMDA_Q0);

  ierr = DMSetFromOptions(da); CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = DMSetUp(da); CHKERRQ(ierr);

  DM dac;
  ierr = DMCoarsen(da,NULL,&dac);

  Mat M;