[petsc-users] Problem with solving Poisson eqn for some cases

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 05:32:46 CDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 5:19 AM, TAY wee-beng <zonexo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/3/2018 1:15 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM, TAY wee-beng <zonexo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 15/3/2018 6:21 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 3:51 PM, TAY wee-beng <zonexo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running a CFD code which solves the momentum and Poisson eqns.
>>>
>>> Due to poor scaling with HYPRE at higher cpu no., I decided to try using
>>> PETSc with boomeramg and gamg.
>>>
>>> I tested for some small cases and it work well. However, for the large
>>> problem which has poor scaling, it gives an error when I change my Poisson
>>> solver from pure HYPRE to PETSc with boomeramg and gamg.
>>>
>>> The error is :
>>>
>>> Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation, probably memory
>>> access out of range
>>>
>>> I tried using:
>>>
>>> -poisson_ksp_type richardson -poisson_pc_type hypre
>>> -poisson_pc_type_hypre boomeramg
>>>
>>> -poisson_ksp_type gmres -poisson_pc_type hypre -poisson_pc_type_hypre
>>> boomeramg
>>>
>>> -poisson_pc_type gamg -poisson_pc_gamg_agg_nsmooths 1
>>>
>>> but they all gave similar error.
>>>
>>> So why is this so? How should I troubleshoot? I am now running a debug
>>> ver of PETSc to check the error msg.
>>

>> 1) For anything like this, we would like to see a stack trace from the
>> debugger or valgrind output.
>>
>> 2) We do have several Poisson examples. Does it fail for you on those?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you recommend me some suitable egs? Esp in Fortran?
>>

> Here is 2D Poisson
>
>   https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/4b6141395f14f0c7d1415a2ff0158e
> ec75a27d63/src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex5f.F90?at=master&
> fileviewer=file-view-default
>

>> 3) You can also try ML, which is the same type of MG as GAMG.
>> (--download-ml).
>>
>> I have recompiled PETSc with ML. Is there an example command line options
> which I can use for ML?

-pc_type ml

> Another question is generally speaking, is geometric multigrid (GMG)
> faster than algebraic?

No, only for the setup time.

> I tested on a small problem and the time taken varies from 1.15min (HYPRE,
> geometric) to 3.25 (GAMG). BoomerAMG is 1.45min.

I am not sure what you are running when you say Hypre geometric.

> Besides HYPRE, is there any other GMG I can use?

As I said above, it does not converge any faster and the solve is not
faster, its all setup time, so small problems will look faster.
You should be doing 10-20 iterates. If you are doing more, MG is not
working.

If you truly have a structured grid, then use DMDA in PETSc and you can use
GMG with

  -pc_type mg -pc_mg_nlevels <n>

   Matt