[petsc-users] make: *** No rule to make target `chk_makej', needed by `all'. Stop.

Samuel Lanthaler s.lanthaler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 12:59:16 CST 2018

Hi,

I've just been trying to compile SLEPC on a cluster, and am getting the
following error message after I type "make":

 > ./configure
Checking environment... done
Checking PETSc installation... done
Checking LAPACK library... done
Writing various configuration files... done
Generating Fortran stubs... done

SLEPc Configuration

SLEPc directory:
  /marconi/home/userexternal/slanthal/slepc-git
   It is a git repository on branch: master
PETSc directory:
  /marconi/home/userexternal/slanthal/petsc-git
   It is a git repository on branch: master
Architecture "arch-complex" with double precision complex numbers

xxx=========================================================================xxx
  Configure stage complete. Now build the SLEPc library with (gnumake
build):
    make SLEPC_DIR=$PWD
PETSC_DIR=/marconi/home/userexternal/slanthal/petsc-git
PETSC_ARCH=arch-complex
xxx=========================================================================xxx

 > make SLEPC_DIR=$PWD
PETSC_DIR=/marconi/home/userexternal/slanthal/petsc-git
PETSC_ARCH=arch-complex
make: *** No rule to make target `chk_makej', needed by `all'. Stop.

Does someone maybe know what the cause of this could be? Make is correct
in that there is no rule for chk_makej, but I'm assuming it should
really be some kind of function? However, since I don't understand what
the dependency on chk_makej exactly does, I'm a bit lost...

Thanks for you help in advance!
Samuel