[petsc-users] Poor weak scaling when solving successive linearsystems

Michael Becker michael.becker at physik.uni-giessen.de
Fri Jun 15 02:26:57 CDT 2018

Hello,

thanks again for your efforts.

> Boundary processors have less nonzeros than interior processors.
Doesn't that mean that boundary processors have less work to do than the
others? Or does this affect the size of the coarse grids?

I know that defining the outermost nodes as boundary is not the most
efficient way in this particular case (using Dirichlet boundary
conditions on a smaller grid would do the same), but I need the solver
to be able to handle arbitrarily shaped boundaries inside the domain,
e.g. to calculate the potential inside a spherical capacitor (constant
potential on the boundaries, charge distribution inside). Is there a
better way to do that?

Michael