[petsc-users] Poor weak scaling when solving successive linearsystems

Junchao Zhang jczhang at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 12 15:07:46 CDT 2018

Hello, Michael,
  Sorry for the delay. I am actively doing experiments with your example
code. I tested it on a cluster with 36 cores/node. To distribute MPI ranks
evenly among nodes, I used 216  and 1728 ranks instead of 125, 1000.  So
far I have these findings:
 1) It is not a strict weak scaling test since with 1728 ranks it needs
more KPS iterations, and more calls to MatSOR etc functions.
 2) If I use half cores per node but double the nodes (keep MPI ranks the
same), the performance is 60~70% better. It implies memory bandwidth plays
an important role in performance.
 3) I find you define the outermost two layers of nodes of the grid as
boundary. Boundary processors have less nonzeros than interior processors.
It is a source of load imbalance. At coarser grids, it gets worse. But I
need to confirm this caused the poor scaling and big vecscatter delays in
the experiment.

 Thanks.

--Junchao Zhang