[petsc-users] Installation of prerequisite libraries

Shashwat Sharma shash_91 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 13:42:27 CDT 2018

Hello,

I'm using a Petsc installation along with the external package superLU_dist. As per the instructions on the online documentation, I am letting Petsc take care of the download and installation at the configure stage.

SuperLU requires that I also download and install parMeTiS and PTScotch, which I can readily do the same way. However, those packages in turn require certain other packages to have been preinstalled, namely GNU bison and flex.

The issue is that I have to make sure bison and flex are pre-installed globally (with sudo rights) before I can properly configure Petsc. However, I would like to remove this dependency on sudo rights and be able to point Petsc to a local installation of bison and flex (or even better, have Petsc download and install them). Is this possible? I didn't see these packages listed on https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/miscellaneous/external.html, so I'm not sure if Petsc can automatically download them.

Is there a way to point Petsc to a local installation of bison and flex?

Thanks!