[petsc-users] downloading hypre

Lukas van de Wiel lukas.drinkt.thee at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 10:01:52 CDT 2018

Hi all,

for years I have been installing PETSc on machines, almost always without
any issue to speak off. Compliments for the solid configure script.
However, now I see an issue I cannot easily solve.

When getting HYPRE in the configuration options, the output gives

         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for
details):
Error during download/extract/detection of HYPRE:
Unable to download hypre
Could not execute "git clone https://github.com/LLNL/hypre
/net/home/gtecton/flops/petsc-3.8.1/linux-gnu-x86_64/externalpackages/git.hypre":
Cloning into
'/net/home/gtecton/flops/petsc-3.8.1/linux-gnu-x86_64/externalpackages/git.hypre'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/LLNL/hypre/':
error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol
version
Unable to download package HYPRE from: git://https://github.com/LLNL/hypre

Has anybody else seen this? It seems to get stuck on SSL, but web security
is sadly not my forte...

Thanks a lot,

Lukas