[petsc-users] Fieldsplit - Schur Complement Reduction - Efficient Preconditioner for Schur Complement

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 04:13:36 CDT 2018

On 25 July 2018 at 09:48, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 4:24 AM Buesing, Henrik <
> hbuesing at eonerc.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to improve the iterative solver [1]. As I understand it I
>> would need to improve the preconditioner for the Schur complement.
>>
>> How would I do that?
>>

> 1) I always start from the exact thing (full Schur factorization with
> exact solves and back off parts until I am happy)
>
> 2) Is the a11 block a good preconditioner for your Schur complement? If
> not, I would start by replacing that matrix
>     with something better.

Some additional info. If you want to pursue option 2, you need to do call

  PCFieldSplitSetSchurPre()

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/PC/
PCFieldSplitSetSchurPre.html#PCFieldSplitSetSchurPre

with PC_FIELDSPLIT_SCHUR_PRE_USER
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/PC/PCFieldSplitSchurPreType.html#PCFieldSplitSchurPreType>
(second arg) and your user defined schur complement preconditioner (last
arg).

Thanks,
  Dave